Celebrating Over 40 Years of Service
The Therapeutic Riding Institute, Inc. was co-founded in 1973 by Betty Lou Townley, as one of the first horseback riding programs to provide lessons for special needs children and adults in the nation. 40 years later, TRI continues to support this core program, and seeks to build on its exemplary reputation for providing quality services to children and adults in Southwest Ohio with special physical, cognitive, social, and psychological needs through Equine Assisted Activities and Therapies (EAA/T).
After 40 years, TRI is growing in the number of students we serve, programs we offer, staff we employ and volunteers we utilize. We’re looking for people like you who can join us in this wonderful journey to help improve the health and lives of our neighbors living with a disability.
Who we are today and what we do
The Therapeutic Riding Institute, Inc. (TRI), of Southwest Ohio:
- 43-year old Equine Assisted Activities and Therapies (EAAT) program
- Provides horseback riding lessons for the special needs population, veterans and youth at risk in order to enrich lives by enhancing the social, verbal, mental and physical abilities of these individuals.
- A non-profit, 501-c(3) registered with the IRS and the State of Ohio. (31-084-0947)
- A full time Executive Director, full time Development Director, full time Program Director, a full time Volunteer & Equine Coordinator and 4 additional contracted instructors.
- Serves about 200 people annually.
- A Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship (PATH) Premier Accredited Program.
- Supplements the real cost of the student classes by deriving income from:
- Student Fees
- Annual Fundraising Events
- Non-Federal Grants
- Individual and Corporate Donations
Thanks for stopping by – See you at the barn!